2/6/20; Week 5: Response to “Cultural Differences Concerning Time”



What do you value most…

                                                …schedules or relationships?

How would your behavior answer that question?

My answer to that question would be relationships. Depending on the situation, though, my behavior may not relay the same answer. Just ask my family. They know I value them and our relationships; however, they may question that if they are not ready for church on time. 

Professor Ivers (BYU-I) in his “Cultural Differences Concerning Time” lecture offers some insight into cultures that are managed by schedules (monochronic) and cultures that are managed by relationships (polychronic). Monochronic societies reward punctuality and discipline. Polychronic societies embrace their inner circles and flexibility. 

Having been influenced predominantly by a monochronic society, some of the polychronic concepts stress me out. We wouldn’t get anything done if deadlines weren’t met. On the other hand, I believe people are more important than procedures.

The question is…

                                                …can we value both?

That’s tricky, and I believe every situation has a different solution. I definitely think it can be done and have a basic idea on how to accomplish this. First, and most importantly, address people with care and respect. Once connection has been established, set clear expectations and follow-up. This idea can be used in the classroom, at home, and in many other settings. 


I would love to hear your ideas…


Comments

  1. I agree with you, Jamie, that both can be achieved. I try to incorporate both into my daily life, but I try to be clear about it. If a schedule is important to keep, I make sure I inform my family of it so we're all on the same page and no one will be surprised when it's time to leave, or I have a meeting, or the game is about to start, etc. But if something comes up with people, I have no problem re-scheduling or being late to be with them. I'm the Relief Society President for my ward, and last night I had a food order to fill for a family. I have to go to our local grocery store for the perishable foods, and I was supposed to get that done yesterday evening. Instead, I made sure the family would be okay until today so I could stay home and play games with my family instead. That is just a small example...if the family absolutely needed the food last night, I would have been more than happy to get that done and then join in my family fun. For me, it's all about communication! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I agree with you...communication is key. That is definitely going on my list of things to remember and implement.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2/18/20; Week 7: Response to Differences in Manners

1/16/20; Week 02: Response to "Is the Great American Teacher Dead?"